Crispy Sea Salt-crusted Parsley Jacket Potatoes


Dad had many gardens to tend, after he retired from banking ~ at home, at the large Community Garden he established, and at the Louisville Zoo, where he displayed a garden for zoo visitors. 

Bubba loved that!  He'd go to the zoo with Grandpa, and while Grandpa gardened, Bubba visited all the animals. 

I've watched him dig up many a potato, he was an expert at it ~ no digging fork holes in his potatoes!




So I’ve always been slightly obsessed with baked potatoes, my favorite potato!  Just a pat of butter, a little salt and lots of pepper does it for me most times…   

But when it’s finished with a crackling crust, with a dollop of sour cream, I’m in potato heaven…




The humble spud is the quintessential comfort food, and it wins the prize for the most versatile vegetable ~ there are only so many ways you can cook broccoli, and roasted broccoli could never compete with a baked potato.

First off, start wth the starchy russet potato, with a sort of thick skin.The pectin holding the russet’s cells together breaks down easily when cooked, resulting in a more granular, powdery texture.  Hands down, most chefs swear by this choice of potato for baking.

Scrub the potato well, dry it and puncture the potato in several spots with a fork.  You don’t want to take a slight chance of it exploding due to pent-up steam.  So, put some holes in it for safety’s sake!

Slather the potato with olive oil for added flavor and great texture, the skin becomes tough without it.

Combine a mixture of sea salt, seasoned pepper, garlic and parsley in a bowl.  Roll the potato in the coating and it’s ready to bake into a delicious potato.

Bake in a preheated 400° oven or do it my way ~ in an air fryer for that perfect crackling crust.

An Air fryer does a great job of baking potatoes.  The oil and seasonings on the skin results in a beautiful crisp baked potato.  




It’s crispy, crackling, crunchy on the outside and snow-white pillowy soft on the inside.

Want to enjoy perfect baked potatoes every time?  Try using an air fryer!


Air Fryer Sea Salt-crusted Parsley Jacket Potatoes 

Ingredients:

3  russet baking potatoes, medium-sized
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 teaspoons parsley, dried
1 tablespoon garlic powder, optional
Sour cream, or toppings of your choice

Method:

Wash potatoes and puncture with a fork several times
Coat potatoes with oil.
Combine salt, parsley and garlic powder in a bowl; roll potatoes in the mixture.
Place into the Air Fryer basket.
Cook potatoes at 390° for 35-40 minutes, until fork tender.
Slather with your favorite toppings, chives, cheese, bacon bits, etc!
Printable recipe



Happy Cooking!






Comments

  1. I'm with you on my love of the humble potato and this looks like a good fix for them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry! Love those potatoes!

      Delete
  2. Well, THAT made me really hungry. I
    guess I better find something for lunch,
    perhaps a baked potato??? : )

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That sounds like the best lunch to me! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. A humble and delicious root veggie! I love air fryer method...fuss free and healthier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Angie! Humble and good. I know you like the air fryer also!

      Delete
  4. The perfect baked potatoes recipe!
    I puncture them with a fork, use olive oil, garlic, etc..but not butter and sour cream, as these two delicious additions lead to weight gain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duta! Yes, I agree and only use sour cream, etc. occasionally. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  5. My goodness this sounds like an amazing way to enjoy potatoes. I love your food memories and the great information shared in your posts. Bravo Pam! (I'm big on pepper and butter too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tricia! It's not a baked potato if there isn't a good dose of pepper! ☺ Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  6. Pam, I love rubbing my potatoes with oil and salt, but you've taken these to another level! So simple yet delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the tip with the air fryer. I bet that does work out well. I have never been able to duplicate that "restaurant style" baked potato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! The air fryer duplicates it very well, very crisp skin!

      Delete
  8. Potatoes are one of my favorite foods, love how you oiled the skin and then rolled them in your salt mixture, I will be preparing this as soon as I can get my hands on a few of these humble roots. Thanks Pam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Cheri! Humble they are. And delicious! Thanks!

      Delete
  9. LOVE baked potatoes! And you need hot air to cook them properly -- the microwave just doesn't cut it. These are deluxe potatoes -- really dressed up nicely. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, John! No the micro can't compete with the air fryer for a good "baked" potato. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Love potatoes Pam and these look stunning, I love how you made these. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! Take care. xoxo

      Delete
  11. Dear Pam, My dad loved to garden too, I wish I had some of his tips today.
    I love baked potatoes too and that picture of yours looks wonderful! The description of that crispy crust sounds soooooo good. You convinced me to make baked potatoes with dinner tomorrow. I know my son will be very happy!
    I never heard of an air fryer, but it sounds like a good idea. I will look into it.
    xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! Dad had a lot of gardens and we had more than our share of veggies. Great in the winter, canned and frozen. Air fryers are a great gadget, little or no fat involved. And baked potatoes are great in it. Take care. xoxo

      Delete
  12. I have yet to try and air fryer, but I have grown potatoes. Love that story about your dad. Is the garden still there? And these potatoes? Well, I'm a potato nut so for sure trying these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Dad passed away 23 years ago, but the community garden he started, carried on. I'm a potato nut also and like them prepared about any way. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  13. Sounds just fabulous and our potatoes in the garden will be ready soon. My husband will not be happy if I tell him I want an air fryer!!!! Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Diane! We have so much shade, not enough sun for a garden now. Yes, I know what you mean, one more gadget, no room, etc/ Take care

      Delete
  14. Potatoes are a favourite in my house. I cook it almost each week in all sorts of dishes! I know my kids would really love your jacket potatoes. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are here too, Joyce! Glad you like this. Thanks!

      Delete
  15. I have never heard of an air fryer , I am definitely going to check it out. Oh no, another kitchen appliance. I love baked potatoes, they are such great comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gerlinde! Yes, another appliance, but it's a good one! Comfort food rules!

      Delete
  16. There's nothing like being 8 or 9 years old and having free run of a zoo for a couple of hours before it opens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Son! You got it, those were the days!!! :)

      Delete
  17. Zoo and gardening in one! Baked are my fave potato too, just like you prepared. Never thought of adding herbs on the outside skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's a 2 for 1, Evelyne! Herbs do great on the potato! Thanks!

      Delete
  18. Thank you so much for this recipe...since I got my air-fryer I have been trying all kind of recipe, but never thought in making a baked potato with it...it sure looks awesome!
    Have a wonderful rest of the week Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Juliana! Hope you like it as much as we did! You have a wonderful rest of the week also. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  19. Hi Pam, Thanks for coming to my blog... I don't know how we have missed each other through the years... BUT--I'm not a cook much AT ALL --at least not these days. My Mom was a fantastic cook and she tried to teach me. All I wanted to do was to play outside!!!! ha..

    However, I do love to EAT---so your baked potatoes made me hungry... YUM... I too love baked potatoes with butter and especially sour cream...

    I too have grown sons --3 of them... SO--we do have things in common.....

    Hope you return to my blog. I only blog on Mondays most of the time now --since I've been blogging since 2006... I also am BIG into Facebook (which is easier and takes less time)...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy! I don't know either. I understand with the cooking, and now that it's warmer I'd probably rather be outside too these days. Glad you like the potatoes!
      Here's to our sons, blogging and eating! :)
      Thanks for the visit and take care. Hugs

      Delete
  20. I am so with you Pam on potatoes being the ultimate comfort food. Simple but fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cakelaw! We know what's good! :) Thanks!

      Delete
  21. Pam, We both love baked potatoes! My better half oils the spuds and rolls them in Costco's steak seasoning. We don't have an air cooker/fryer so its the oven for us. When they're done, we split them open and slather them with Amish butter and usually some leftover bacon. My wife adds sour cream but I add shredded sharp cheddar cheese and Tabasco! YUM! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave! Woo hoo! I like your baked potatoes with all the toppings. Sounds great to me! I've never had Amish butter so will have to check that out. And never thought of Tabasco on the potato, yum for sure! Have a great weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

________________________

Sandwiches are wonderful. You don’t need a spoon or a plate.
- Paul Lynde
_______________

Hi!
I am happy to hear what you have to say, and appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave a comment.
Keep Smiling,
Pam
_________________________

Printfriendly


When you feel like eating boiled eggs,

if you have some truffles in the house,

put them in a basket

with the eggs

and the next day you will have the

best boiled eggs you have ever tasted in your gastronomic life.

--- M.Des Ombiaux



Popular posts from this blog

Tender and Delicious Italian-Style Baked Chicken Breasts

Succulent Slow-cooker Pork Loin in Gravy

Bubba’s Winning Homemade Summer Sausage

The Best Lemon Pound Cake ~ I’m Telling You the Truth!

Dinner Party

Dinner Party
Jules-Alexandre Grun

Since 2009